Workers’ compensation provides medical treatment, wage loss and disability benefits to Washington University employees who suffer an injury or occupational disease as a result of an accident arising out of and in the course of employment.

The university is insured for workers’ compensation benefits through College and University Trust Association (CUTA). Payment of benefits to employees and payment to medical care providers is through a third-party administrator, Cannon Cochran Management Services, Inc. (CCMSI).

Reporting and Filing a Claim

Employees must give prompt notice of an injury arising out of and in the course and scope of their employment duties to their supervisor, manager or department head. In addition, the employee (or supervisor if the employee is unable) must formally report the incident via the Report Safety Incident task in Workday. For information about the Report Safety Incident task in Workday, click here.

Medical Treatment

Under the Missouri Workers’ Compensation Law, the employer has a right to designate the doctor, hospital or medical care facility to provide treatment to the employee. The university’s worker’s compensation insurance will only pay for treatment at authorized facilities.

If an employee elects to have an unauthorized physician provide treatment, payments will be the employee’s responsibility. Any time taken off work for treatment will be considered vacation time or other unpaid leave.

Authorized Facilities

Use of an authorized facility is required for worker’s compensation payments

  • Charles F. Knight Emergency and Trauma Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital
  • Barnes Care. Employer authorization is required prior to seeking treatment. For authorization contact Tracy Merton. Visit for locations and hours of operation.

Business Travel in Chartered Aircraft

Travel via private or charter aircraft is not automatically covered. Contact the Insurance & Risk Management Office at least seven days prior to your trip to obtain coverage information.

Benefit Payments

Amounts paid and accounting for time off

Returning to Work

Restrictions and ongoing treatments

Need Help?

Contact Tracy Merton
Phone: (314) 935-5627
Pager: (314) 836-9625

Email Tracy