Travelers renting a vehicle for university business in the United States, Canada and U.S. territories do not need to purchase any of the insurance coverages offered by rental agencies. Per the university’s travel policy, such cost will not be reimbursed.

When renting a vehicle outside of the United States, Canada, and U.S. territories, travelers must elect to purchase the minimum liability and physical damage insurance coverages offered by the rental agency. The university’s international liability insurance coverage is excess over local compulsory auto insurance.

Automobile Insurance Card

A Washington University automobile insurance card should be carried in the rental car during the duration of the rental. For a current auto ID card, please contact the Insurance & Risk Management Office.

At the Rental Agency

All renters should examine their rental cars for damages and safety hazards (cracked windshields, burned out light bulbs on lights, etc.). Note all damages on the rental agreement before you sign it. All safety hazards should be corrected before you accept rental of the vehicle, or the rental agency should provide a replacement vehicle.

Car Share Program

The university in partnership with Enterprise Rent-A-Care offers car rentals by the hour through the Car Share Program. For university business rentals made through the Car Share Program, the university’s auto liability policy provides excess coverage to the coverage provided by Enterprise Rent-A-Car. For program details click here