General liability insurance coverage for events held in and on university owned space is required. Such events may include non-university meetings, non-university conferences, weddings, concerts and other special events or functions. Any third party leasing university space or performing on university property must provide proof of such general liability coverage.

Certificate of Insurance

Washington University requires a certificate of insurance, evidencing a minimum of $1,000,000 in coverage limits and naming Washington University as an additional insured.

All certificates of insurance should be sent to:
Washington University
Insurance & Risk Management Office
MSC: 1084-414-355
7425 Forsyth Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105-2161

Alcohol at Special Events

If there will be alcohol served at any event, a certificate of insurance evidencing liquor liability coverage must be provided. Alcohol is only allowed to be served by a caterer who can provide proof of liquor liability coverage. Staff/students are not allowed to serve their own alcohol at university events.

Third Parties without Insurance

If the outside entity does not have insurance, departments can utilize the University Risk Management Insurance Association (URMIA) Tenant and User Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP) to purchase coverage for the event. Premiums are based on the type of event, length of event and anticipated number of participants.

To obtain an URMIA TULIP quote and to purchase coverage, please visit the URMIA’s broker’s website. The broker requires payment in the form of a credit card at the time of purchase.