All vendors are required to provide evidence of insurance coverage before commencing work on behalf of Washington University. Insurance is necessary to cover any claims or losses for which the contractor/vendor may be responsible.

Departments Using Vendors

Departments using a vendor or other services must request a certificate of insurance prior to engaging in services and/or at the start of a contract. A certificate of insurance is a standard form issued by an insurance company evidencing the insurance information (limits, type of insurance, policy period) of its policyholder.

All certificates of insurance should be sent to:
Washington University
Insurance & Risk Management Office
MSC: 1084-414-355
7425 Forsyth Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105-2161

Minimum Insurance Standards

The following minimum insurance standards shall apply to vendors performing, selling or distributing products and services at Washington University. If a product or service, in the opinion of the Insurance & Risk Management Office, represents an unusual or exceptional risk, additional insurance for that product or service may be required. Vendors and contractors shall name Washington University as an additional insured on their general and auto liability insurance policies.

  • Commercial General Liability Insurance: Commercial general liability insurance must include bodily injury and property damage liability, independent contractors liability, contractual liability, product liability and completed operations liability in an amount not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence, and $1,000,000 aggregate.
  • Cyber Liability Insurance (if applicable): including coverage for unauthorized access, failure of security, breach of privacy perils, as well at notification costs (including but not limited to call centers, credit monitoring), security & privacy liability, cyber extortion, and regulatory defense in an amount of not less than $5,000,000. Such insurance shall be maintained in force at all times during the term of the Agreement and for a period of two years thereafter for services completed during the term of the Agreement.
  • Workers’ Compensation: Statutory limits and Employer’s Liability of $1,000,000 is required.
  • Automobile Liability: For vendors who will drive on Washington University property, automobile liability in an amount not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence for bodily injury and property damage, including owned, hired and non-owned vehicle coverage, is required.
  • Charter Buses: All charter bus companies hired by Washington University must carry automobile liability coverage in an amount no less than $5,000,000 per occurrence for bodily injury and property damage.

For contractor’s and design professional’s insurance requirements, please see Washington University General Conditions of Contract.