Supporting Documentation Requirements
- Supporting documentation should provide evidence of origination from the vendor and contain purchasing details including date and price. For reimbursements, the documentation should also provide proof of payment. An electronic copy or legible picture of the original receipt which is printed is acceptable supporting documentation.
- An invoice received via fax or email from the vendor is considered an original.
- Monthly credit card statements and canceled checks alone will not be accepted as supporting documentation.
- If acceptable supporting documentation is not available, exception approval must be obtained by the Business Manager, Department Head, or an individual in a similar role. Employees cannot sign their own exceptions. Signature stamps are not acceptable. The exception approval must include the printed name and title of the person signing the exception.
- Acceptable supporting documentation should be obtained for all expenses; however, supporting documentation must be forwarded to Campus Box 1056, Attn: AP – Check Requests or scanned and attached by the department when:
- the check request amount is $1,000 or greater
- the forward supporting documentation to Accounts Payable field is marked yes and the check request does not auto-approve
- approval is required by a central area (for example AP, SPA, Tax or General Accounting)
- check request is for a reimbursement
- If supporting documentation is not required to be sent to Accounts Payable, it should be retained by the department or scanned and attached in the departmental folder in accordance with the university’s Records Management Policy.
- Scanning and attaching supporting documentation is the preferred method of submitting supporting documentation to Accounts Payable. To submit supporting documentation to Accounts Payable in paper form the unique AISystem document number must be written on the upper right hand corner of the document. If there are multiple pages of supporting documentation, the document number and page number should be written on each page. For example: CR 1234567, pg. 1 of 2 and CR 1234567, pg. 2 of 2. Receipts must be taped (not stapled) to an 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper, single side only.
Payments to Foreign Persons
There are special documentation requirements when making payments to foreign individuals or foreign entities. Both immigration and tax rules must be followed when making payments to foreign vendors. For information on paying foreign persons, please click here.