Cash advances are intended to cover employee out-of-pocket costs when traveling. Advances will not be approved more than 30 days in advance unless the employee is taking back-to-back trips. Cash advances are not available for non-employees.

Cash advances for travel must be substantiated via an expense report in a timely manner (generally 15 days) after the completion of the trip. After 30 days, outstanding advances are considered delinquent. Additional advances may be disapproved if an employee has delinquent advances. The University is required by IRS regulations to report all unsubstantiated advances as taxable income to the recipient. Therefore, advances greater than 90 days delinquent may be added to the employee’s gross wages and the appropriate tax will be withheld from their next paycheck. The amount of the travel advance will be treated as an expense to the department.

Cash advances are requested via a Spend Authorization in Workday. The advance should be requested under the name of the employee in need of out-of-pocket funds.